According to Skysports, a £20m bid for Bournemouth striker Joshua King was earlier rejected as United target cover in the absence of the injured Marcus Rashford, but their pursuit of the Norway international appears to have ended.
Tottenham also made their own late attempt to secure a loan deal for 30-year-old striker Ighalo from Shanghai Shenhua on Deadline Day.
However, a move to Spurs is not expected to materialise because if Ighalo does leave China he will go elsewhere, potentially to United before the deadline.
Ighalo is in pre-season training with Shenhua in China, but the new Chinese Super League season has been delayed due to the escalation of the Coronavirus.
- Tite: Only Messi and Ronaldo were better than Neymar when he was at Barca
- Van Persie explains moment Sir Alex Ferguson humiliated stars after derby defeat
- Nigerian Winger Abbas On RB Leipzig Radar For Switch From Kasimpasa
- Coronavirus crisis could see Ronaldo leave Juventus (Il Messaggero)
- Januzaj reveals Man Utd are his second team and Pogba is his favourite player